Furniture Donation Guidelines
Our Furniture Season Has Started
This arrival service is to help furnish apartments & dorms for newly arrived Chinese students & scholars in the summer & fall in their transition. Please see below for guidelines.
What We Accept
Please keep in mind that we are looking for gently used, in good condition pieces that students will appreciate. We are not a recycling center.
- small to medium size furniture that will fit in a small apartment/dorm: desks, desk chairs, dining room or kitchen tables and chairs, dressers/chest of drawers.
- single, full, or queen size frames & box springs; mattresses must be clean and without tears or stains. Firm matresses are ideal.
- working lamps, small microwaves, woks, rice cookers, and electric water pots.
- we accept but limit: night stands, small bookshelves, end tables, sofa tables and love seats (2 seat or smaller sofas) based on space available/existing inventory.
- we accept but limit housewares, pans, dishes, glasses, silverware.
We do not accept:
- TVs, sofa beds, standard 3-seat sofas, really large pieces of furniture, large desks, king size mattresses, or coffee tables.
- un-assembled furniture unless it has all the hardware and the assembly instructions.
- furniture in bad condition, like ripped/ stained/ bad smelling/ with graffiti or stickers, or really dated stuff.
- upholstered furniture from households that have cats or dogs.
HCC urges donors to send a photo of the furniture before anyone goes to the trouble of transporting, as we retain the right to refuse any item of furniture once we see it in person.
The furniture outreach is conducted by Austin Hoeg, Furniture Coordinator, at 651-659-9740, email@example.com
July 1: Furniture collection & distribution begins
August 15: Furniture collection ends
September 1: Program ends
In order to assist furniture intern, we're looking for volunteers willing to transport Chinese to IKEA, Goodwill & ReUse Center to select furniture. HCC can provide a van & trailer or volunteers may use their own vehicle. If you'd like to get to a new newly arrived Chinese student or scholar and serve in this practical way, please contact Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org